Prospective students must be:
- 18 years of age (or older) by the time of the first internship.
- High School Graduate, or equivalent.
- Able to meet OSU Institute of Technology and CAT® Dealership admission and academic requirements.
- Sponsored by a CAT® Dealership.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and maintain an employable driving record.
- Willing to take a drug test if requested by Dealership sponsor. (NOTE: for many dealerships this is a requirement for employment)
- Sincere about becoming the best service technician he/she can be.
Responsibilities of Participants
OSU Institute of Technology
- Provide faculty dedicated solely to the CAT® Dealer Prep Program
- Provide necessary time to initially train and update the faculty
- Provide facility dedicated solely to the CAT® Dealer Prep Program; classrooms, labs, etc.
- Appoint a CAT® Dealer Prep Program Coordinator.
- Provide advisement for CAT® Dealer Prep students.
- Maintain up-to-date tools and equipment.
- Grant the Associate of Applied Science degree in Caterpillar Service Technology to graduates.
- Inform sponsoring dealers of student progress.
- Assist dealerships with student selection and recruitment.
- Work with the Dealership Coordinator to assure involvement in internships.
- Conduct student visitations during internships.
- Establish a CAT® Dealer Prep Advisory Committee.
- Schedule Advisory Committee meetings.
- Agree to act as a sponsoring dealership.
- Appoint an in-dealership Coordinator.
- Recruit, interview and select prospective student(s)
- Provide dealership coordinated internship experience in accordance with the program schedule for the duration of the curriculum.
- Provide related work/learning experiences that supplement the students’ most recent instruction.
- Agree to pay the student during periods of dealership internship.
- Provide work uniforms for student consistent with dealership policy both while at school and at the dealership.
- Provide any other benefits in a manner consistent with other dealership employees.
- Assist in obtaining equipment and training aids.
- Participate in the Advisory Committee meetings.
- Obtain and maintain a CAT® Dealer Prep Dealership Sponsor throughout the program.
- Provide sponsoring CAT® Dealership with responsible and productive work effort.
- Participate in all learning activities at scheduled times.
- Maintain academic standards and adhere to academic policies (minimum 2.0 GPA) according to OSU Institute of Technology policy.
- Maintain dealership attendance standards.
- Be responsible for program cost: tuition, fees, books, tools, housing, etc.
- Wear work uniforms, safety glasses and recommended personal safety equipment during campus class/labs and dealership internship experiences.
Student Selection Procedures
- Students who wish to become a member of the CAT® Dealer Prep program should make application
early in the spring semester (January - March) if possible. This will allow time for
processing financial aid packages, identification of preparatory class needs, sponsorship
acquisition, etc. The application process includes the following:
- Complete OSU Institute of Technology Application for Admission.
- Comply with OSU Institute of Technology Admission Policies.
- Complete the CAT® Dealer Prep Scholarship Application.
- Return the completed CAT® Dealer Prep Scholarship Application to a participating CAT® Dealership.
- Complete the student assessment process. (Includes both the ACCUPLACER® and Career Profile testing.)
- Submit a current official driving record.
- Remove preparatory class needs prior to the start of the program.
- Students who successfully complete the Admission process are eligible to interview with the CAT® Dealership of their choice. Check with the CAT® Dealer Prep faculty for a list of CAT® Dealerships that have agreed to participate in the program. The interview should take place at the dealership and participant’s goals should be discussed. ALL STUDENTS MUST HAVE A DEALER SPONSOR BEFORE ENROLLMENT CAN BE COMPLETED.
- Should the interview prove successful, the dealership will complete the CAT® Dealer Sponsorship Application and submit it to the OSU Institute of Technology CAT® Dealer Prep Program Coordinator.
Note: Since the CAT® Dealer Prep Program will have more applicants than openings, the faculty and participating CAT® Dealers will use the criteria listed above in the selection process.