UPDATE: Carnifall has moved indoors due to weather conditions. All activities will go on as planned inside Covelle Hall.
An evening of family entertainment returns to the OSU Institute of Technology campus with the annual Carnifall event taking place Thursday, Oct. 25.
The Office of Student Life and student clubs on campus host the harvest carnival with games, food, entertainment and inflatables on the lawn around Covelle Hall.
“This is a chance for our 20 student clubs on campus to pull together as a collective group and create an event that is open to all local community members as well as our campus community and their families,” said Kamie Rash, interim Student Life director. “Halloween and the fall season is a time of year that is very family oriented and there are some opportunities created at Carnifall to provide a safe, fun and free opportunity for the young children within Okmulgee to dress in their costumes, play games and get some candy.”
While Carnifall is free to attend, there are some activities sponsored by the campus’ student clubs that do have a cost. It kicks off at 4 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 25, with festivities continuing until 8 p.m.
Rash said the event is a way for the student clubs to fundraise while also serving as a community outreach opportunity.
“The Okmulgee community can come to an event that’s safe, fun, free and family-friendly,” she said. “We also have nontraditional students who have families with small children and this is an opportunity for them to do something with their families on campus.”
A tradition for nearly 25 years, Carnifall is something many in the Okmulgee and campus community look forward to each year. As many as 1,500 people come out for the event each year, depending on the weather, and if it does rain, the festival will move indoors to Covelle Hall.
Free activities include:
- Inflatables sponsored by American Society of Civil Engineering and Student Government Association
Student club fundraising activities include:
- Pie toss, games and ice cream- sponsored by Air Conditioning & Refrigeration Club
- Ladder golf- sponsored by Collegiate Navigators
- Jail cell and skee-ball- sponsored by Construction Management Professionals
- Fishing for prizes and Frito chili pies- sponsored by Future Chefs Association
- Turkey legs- sponsored by International Society of Automation
- Basketball game- sponsored by Multicultural International Student Association
- Pumpkin bowling- sponsored by Network Gaming Executives
- Sack toss, ring toss, cotton candy, snow cones, soda and water- sponsored by Orthotics & Prosthetics
- Giant checkers- sponsored by Phi Theta Kappa
- Plinko- sponsored by Relying in Christ’s Knowledge
- Kids activities- sponsored by Student Nurse Association
- Photo booth and popcorn- sponsored by Visual Communications Collective
- Popcorn- Association of Information Technology Professionals