Military Service

More Information

For more info please contact the Military & Veteran’s Office at OSUIT.

Contact Military Office

Beyond Military Friendly. We Are Military Committed.

Nationally recognized as a military-friendly university, OSU Institute of Technology is proud of a long heritage of serving veterans since 1946. OSUIT works with service men and women to discover how their military skills and experiences can transfer into college credits and helps them determine the degree program that will best suit their needs and experiences.

Three Steps Could Help You Earn Your Degree Faster.

The knowledge and skills gained through your military service may have earned you the equivalent of college credit, which can reduce the time it takes to earn a degree and any costs you may have associated with your degree program. We believe in recognizing and placing value on the experience and technical skills that you already possess, and will work with you to explore the many prior learning credit options available to you.

Find out how to put your military experience to work at OSUIT today! Just follow these steps to determine how your military experience will transfer to a degree program at OSUIT.

OSUIT’s Veteran Services Coordinator will assist you with requesting your official transcript and/or other acceptable documentation from your military branch. You may also contact your branch directly to request the required military documents.

There are several forms you must gather and complete in order to transfer credits:

  • JST Form (Request Official Joint Services Transcript)
  • For active service members: DD Form 295 certified by an authorized officer and the designee
  • For non-active service members: DD Form 214
  • For all service members, a transcript from your branch of the military.

Please note: The American Council on Education does NOT consider the DD Form 2586 an official form and it is not used for evaluation purposes. This form is used for clarification purposes only.

If the experience on the DD Form 295 or DD Form 214 is abbreviated or indefinable, it is to the student's advantage to do one or more of the following to assist in the evaluation process:

  • Submit an AARTS transcript, if applicable.
  • Include military course numbers and American Council on Education (ACE) course ID numbers. (ACE recommendations for military credit can be found by utilizing their Military Guide.)
  • Include additional documents that clarify abbreviated courses or verify the skill level of a primary specialty.
OSUIT recognizes transfer credit and awards prior learning credit based upon current degree requirements. Review the course catalog or visit OSUIT’s Credit for Prior Learning page for more information about OSUIT’s degrees and related courses. Identify those programs and courses that you feel most closely match your interests, background, and training.

Once you receive your military transcript(s) and other documentation you need to provide the documents to your Veteran Services Coordinator, who will assist in routing them to the appropriate departments for evaluation and review. Based upon your training and experience, the Veteran Services Coordinator may also recommend that you visit with a program advisor or the Prior Learning Assessment Coordinator to identify additional credit opportunities available to you.

Courses Awarded for Military Experience

These are some of the most common courses that veteran students earn credit for based upon their military transcript and experience. Talk to an advisor today to determine how your unique training and experience may translate into college credit!

  • BADM 2373 Business Communications
  • CS 1013 Computer Literacy & Applications
  • ENGL 1033 Technical Writing I
  • HHP 1113 Personal Health
  • MGMT 2313 Principles of Management
  • MGMT 2413 Supervisory Management
  • SPCH 1113 Introduction to Speech Communications
  • SPCH 2313 Small Group Communications