Contact an NSLS Advisor
For questions about the OSUIT NSLS program, contact
The NSLS is the largest leadership honor society in the United States. Our NSLS chapter at Oklahoma State University Institute of Technology was started in 2019. Our local chapter is part of the national organization with 700+ chapters and over 1.4 million members.
Students are selected based on exemplary academic achievement. As of 2021 we have 256 members who have access to:
- More than $400,000 in scholarships.
- An exclusive NSLS job board.
- A personalized letter of recommendation.
The NSLS leadership program teaches the interpersonal skills that employers seek to give you an edge in the job market. Hear directly from current members as they share how their experience has changed their life.
If you become a member, some of the other benefits are:
- Learn from exceptional leaders like former President Barack Obama during exclusive Speaker Broadcasts.
- Meet new friends and make lifelong connections (on-campus and virtually).
- Overcome challenges with success coaches shortcutting your way to success.
- Access to private networking events.
Visit the NSLS website to learn more about and accept your nomination.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Who is invited to join NSLS at OSUIT?
The program targets students who have at minimum; six completed credit hours and at least a 2.75 GPA. Students that have been selected will receive an invitation letter via email and to their home address.
When are invitations sent to students?
Invitations are sent two times a year, before the fall and spring semesters to the student's email address and mailing address. NSLS Programs Only run during the Fall and Spring terms, we don't hold a program over the summer term.
How much does it cost to join NSLS?
NSLS members pay a one-time registration fee of $95 when joining the organization for the Foundations of Leadership Certification. Membership does not expire or require renewal.
OSUIT Dean's NSLS Waiver
OSUIT offers a need-based waiver that will cover the cost of the $95 membership. Students needing financial assistance can fill out the Dean’s Waiver Application which will be considered by a selection committee. Typically, 20 waivers are awarded, and recipients will be notified of their awarded waiver for membership before the first orientation date.
Please note, if you plan to apply for the Dean's NSLS Waiver, do not use the nomination code provided to you in your invitation to apply for membership. If you are chosen to receive the waiver, a new code will be given to you.
Students may also be sponsored by a school or club. Contact an NSLS advisor for more information.
What is the typical time commitment?
A student should expect to spend approximately 12 hours for the program. Program events are held in the evenings, typically beginning at 6:00pm. The NSLS program is designed to be completed in a semester, however some members may take more time and complete in the next semester offered. Inducted members can hold leadership positions in the semesters after completing the leadership program.
Is this recognized on campus?
We are Leadership Program recognized and ran under the Student Life Department at OSUIT. Since forming in 2019, we have had 386 in our chapter and there are more than 700 chapters and 1.4 million members nationwide.
How does a student become an inducted member?
Once a student has registered as a member of the NSLS, they are considered a member with access to certain benefits. Our five-step program takes approximately 12 hours over the course of the semester at your pace. In order to become an inducted member, a student must complete the following steps:
- Orientation: This is the first event on campus for new members to learn the steps of the program and the schedule of events for the term.
- Leadership Training Day: Members attend an interactive video training session where they identify goals and overcome obstacles.
- Three Speaker Broadcast Events: Live streamed events with leaders, celebrities and best-selling authors are scheduled six times per academic year.
- Three Consecutive Success Networking Team Meetings: Peer to Peer Accountability and Goal Setting sessions with other members.
When is the induction ceremony?
The NSLS Induction Ceremony is held Graduation Week of both the Fall and Spring terms, typically at 6p in the Covelle Hall Auditorium. Announcements to any new NSLS inductees will be communicated closer to the Induction event each term.
Darrell Proctor II
Harry Ocampo Perez
Craig J. Ware