Coursework toward Program of Study FAQs

Your enrollment does affect your eligibility for federal financial aid.

Federal regulations require you to be in an associate or bachelor's degree to receive financial aid at Oklahoma State University Institute of Technology, but the courses you take must also be required for the program. Essentially, only the coursework that counts towards your degree will be used in determining your hours of enrollment for federal aid purposes (grants, loans, and Federal Work-Study).

Eligibility Examples

If you are eligible for the Pell Grant and are enrolled in 12 credit hours, but only 9 are required for your program, you will receive federal aid for only those 9 eligible hours.

If you are enrolled in 6 credit hours, but only 3 are required for your program, you will not be eligible for the student loan. Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 eligible hours for Federal Direct loans.

Prepare and register early to ensure your courses will be eligible for federal aid.