Veteran Services Step-by-Step Guide

1.  Apply for Veteran Education Benefits or request a change of place or training.

You can apply online through the VA

- Click on the Apply for education benefits link, under the heading "How do I apply?" click the button "Find your education benefits form" and answer the questions.

2.  Apply for admission to Oklahoma State University Institute of Technology.

The admissions checklist will help you through this process. You can start your application online.

3.  Fill out and turn in the paperwork to begin your VA file on campus.

All forms required can be found on our forms page or by visiting with the Office of Veteran Services.

4.  Request Military Transcript from Branch of Service and turn into Veteran Services.

*All Veteran’s receiving benefits must have military training evaluated. Transcripts can be requested at:

5.  Meet with an advisor from the department in which you will be seeking a degree to enroll in classes. Complete the Veteran Advisory Form (VAF) with necessary signatures required.

Remember the VA will only allow courses necessary for completing your degree to be funded by your education benefits.

You are responsible for filling out your VAF correctly and in a timely manner. Turning in your VAF late can result in a delay of payment. 

6. Check your email for confirmation.

When our office, Veterans Student Services, receives your VAF, we will add it to your VA file. Once your enrollment is certified with the VA, you will receive a confirmation email from the VA to your email address with your cert ID number and the number of hours certified.

Chapter 30 and Chapter 1606 MUST verify monthly attendance at W.A.V.E  or call 1-877-823-2378.

Chapter 33 MUST verify monthly attendance through the text messaging system, email with the VA or by calling 1-888-442-4551.

7.  Report any change in schedule to the Office of Military and Veteran Services.

Any added courses require a written notification (preferably an email) stating that your classes have changed and you may need and want a change in certification, or you can fill out a new VAF.

Repeat steps 5 - 6 every semester you intend to use your education benefits.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.