As the weather changes and pumpkin spice fills the air, you can count on OSU Institute of Technology’s annual Carnifall event to be just around the corner.
An OSUIT student club fundraising and community outreach event, Carnifall is an all-ages carnival-style event open to the public on Oct. 24 from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. outside Covelle Hall on the OSUIT campus.
This event is free to attend, and most activities are free to the public, with the exception of the photo booth and jail cell. Student clubs will be selling snacks and refreshments throughout the evening.
“We invite the campus community and the Okmulgee community to come out and enjoy this free, fun, family event,” said Kamie Rash, director of Student Life. “We have activities for children of all ages, even adults if they choose to get in on the fun!”
There will be a lot of candy, giveaways and fun activities to do this year. Rash said that a few clubs will also raffle prizes.
“A pie raffle is being held by our Air Conditioning & Refrigeration Club,” said Rash. “A pumpkin pie raffle will be held by the Residence Halls Association, and a gift card raffle will be hosted by the Association of Information Technology Professionals.”
Carnifall not only provides an opportunity for student clubs to raise funds, but it also helps foster a community connection.
“We invite the public to come to the OSUIT campus and support our student clubs; many of these student clubs turn right back around and use those funds raised to benefit the community,” said Rash. “We would also like to be able to provide a safe and fun Halloween-style event for the Okmulgee community in general. We know those kids are begging to wear their costumes early for Halloween, and this gives them the chance to do so.”
All active student clubs will be participating this year. Through this outreach opportunity, Student Life hopes that memories created here give the community a sense of connection to the college that is located in their town.
This event typically brings out 100 to 150 people each year. Rash said she hopes to see an increase in those numbers this year.
“It’s a great event that holds benefits to both the OSUIT campus and the Okmulgee community," she said. "We hope that we can continue to create ties to the community through our efforts of outreach with the student clubs."
Free activities include:
- Inflatable bounce house and slide, sponsored by Student Life
- Photo opportunity with inflatable Pistol Pete
- Corn hole, sponsored by the Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Club
- Skee ball, sponsored by Construction Management Professionals
- Toss games, sponsored by Orthotics & Prosthetics
- Lawn games, sponsored by Student Government Association
- Electrical “operation” game, sponsored by International Society of Automation
- Bowling-type game, sponsored by Network Gaming Executives
- Washer toss game, sponsored by Ford Asset Student Technicians
- Bucket toss, giant checkers and sac races, sponsored by Student Transitional Development Xtreme
- Ping pong ball toss, sponsored by Phi Theta Kappa
- Color station, sponsored by Residence Halls Association
- Plinko game, sponsored by Relying on Christ’s Knowledge
- Hand-washing booth and candy, sponsored by Student Nurse Association
- Carved pumpkin contest entry display, sponsored by the School of Arts, Sciences & Health
Student club fundraising activities include:
- Pop, chips, bottled water and pie raffle tickets for sale by the Air Conditioning & Refrigeration Club
- Popcorn and gift card raffle tickets for sale by the Association of Information Technology Professionals
- Jail cell (visitors can pay to have a friend or family member put in “jail” for a few minutes) hosted by the Construction Management Professionals
- Caramel apples and popcorn balls for sale by the Future Chefs Association
- Cotton candy, snow cones, snacks, soda and water for sale by Orthotics & Prosthetics
- Smoked turkey legs, slushies and coffee for sale by International Society of Automation
- Pumpkin raffle tickets for sale by Residence Hall Association
- Photo booth hosted by the Visual Communications Collective
Student Life is welcoming volunteers for set up, manning of the inflatables and tear down of the event. Volunteers can email email@example.com for more information.