OSU Institute of Technology believes the opportunity to participate in education should be readily available and accessible to every person without regard to race, ethnic origin, religion, gender, handicap or level of income; they should not be impediments to an individual’s academic and social growth and development.
The institution believes learning is a lifelong process that helps individuals develop their potential and increase their awareness of and capabilities for making reasoned choices. Differences among persons, particularly in goals, learning styles and attitudes, require a variety of means to satisfy the educational needs of individuals.
The institutional environment should be responsive to the varied needs of the students and the other constituencies that the institution serves. To this end, the institution is committed to providing educational opportunities through close collaboration with other educational institutions, the private and public sector, government entities, and the various business and industry-based organizations that serve the residents of Oklahoma.
Philosophy of General Education
General Education at OSU Institute of Technology employs current technology and diverse learning methods to engage students in interactive learning processes. Students are introduced to broad based knowledge, skills, and analytical and evaluative tools needed to lead productive and fulfilling lives in leadership and service to the community. This latitude in learning complements each program to enhance students’ flexibility and, consequently, provide them with more options in the work place.
Philosophy of Assessment of Student Learning
Assessment of student learning at OSU Institute of Technology is an essential part of the enduring process of enhancing and improving curricular and co-curricular student learning. It is driven by the College’s mission and vision statements. Academic divisions determine student learning objectives and then systematically gather, document, analyze, and interpret evidence of student learning. Assessment is one way that departments and programs affirm their strengths and plan improvements that contribute to the College’s overall effectiveness.
- To accelerate the development of academic, technical and leadership skills of students seeking associate degrees in advancing technology fields.
- To instill in every graduate an appreciation for his or her individual responsibility for citizenship in a multi cultural society.
- To provide lifelong educational experiences for individuals.
- To provide out-of-class learning experiences in the environment of quality campus community.
- To develop strategic alliances and partnerships with government, business and industry that lead to enhanced economic development of the state and region.
OSU Institute of Technology’s scope is college level, advancing technology curricula and services, co-curricular student life and public service. Emphasis is placed on:
- Associate degree programs in advancing technologies that fulfill a critical work force need for technical/professionals
- General education course work that contributes to the development of critical-thinking lifelong learners, whose interpersonal and communication skills, problem-solving abilities and knowledge of ethics prepare them to be productive employees and citizens
- Programs and services which aid in the development and retention of students
- Continuing education and public service programs that meet the needs of Oklahoma citizens
- Technologically-advanced learning resource facilities and educational infrastructure which meet the needs for academic excellence
- Student experiences which foster leadership, participation and maturity
- Recruitment and sustenance of a diverse, qualified faculty and staff
- Institutional planning program review processes that focus on academic excellence and continuous improvement of support services
- Strategic alliances partnerships with government, business and industry that serve to enhance the economic development
- External resources that are required to provide program excellence
- Accountability through assessment of student learning, competency, satisfaction, exit placement and career success.