Education Benefits

Education Benefits

Applying for VA Education Benefits

  • Your first step is to submit your initial application for benefits electronically to the Veterans Administration. Exception: Applicants for Chapter 31 must follow the instructions found on the VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment page. 
  • Not sure what benefit to apply for? Go to the GI Bill® Comparison Tool
  • If you have specific questions regarding the type of education programs you are eligible for or application procedures, please contact the US Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551, or go the USDVA website.
  • Once the application has been submitted, you will receive two hard copies of the “Certificate of Eligibility” from the Veteran’s Administration. Bring one copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to the Veteran Services office located in the Grady Clack for further processing.

Benefit Programs

Eligibility criteria and benefits vary for veterans’ education benefit programs from the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA). Monthly stipends, eligibility periods, and documentation required are described in the links below.

     Military Tuition Assistance Programs

Tuition Assistance programs may be offered through the various branches of the military. For more information on these programs, students should contact the Education Service Officer (ESO) of their unit.

Submit the Tuition Assistance Authorization/Voucher to The Office of Military and Veteran Services located at the Grady Clack Center. The office of the Bursar will process your benefits after the Add/Drop period has passed.


The university’s Office of Military and Veteran Services is required to have specific information on file for each veteran-student, in order that the veteran can be “certified” by academic calendar dates and credit hours of enrollment.

  • Submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to the Office of Military and Veteran Services.
  • For receipt of VA education benefits throughout your academic career, you will be required to complete a Veterans Advisory Form each semester you are enrolled.
Veterans Advisory Form
Complete this form each semester you are enrolled.
Viewing this document requires Adobe Reader.
  • Chapter 30, 1607 and 1606 recipients must verify enrollment with the VA at the end of each calendar month before receipt of payment for that month. To verify enrollment, go to the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or call 1-877-823-2378.
  • Students will also need to fill out the following forms their first semester or when information changes:
New VA Student Intake Form
Complete this form the first semester you are enrolled and resubmit when your information changes.
Viewing this document requires Adobe Reader.
Release of Information Form
Complete this form the first semester you are enrolled and resubmit when your information changes.
Viewing this document requires Adobe Reader.

Military Education Transfer Credit

OSUIT awards credit as recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE), as published in “The Guide to the Evaluation of Military Experiences in the Armed Services,” for selected educational experiences provided by the armed forces. Veteran students utilizing VA benefits are required to submit any and all prior credit not limited to but including military credit.

Websites for military credit:

Class Attendance

Class attendance is required in order to receive education benefits under any of the veterans benefit programs. Receiving a letter grade of “F” in a course, or if the student is administratively withdrawn, for non-attendance will require student repayment of veteran’s education benefits. Also, receipt of an “I” (incomplete) grade will require that the student complete the “I” grade removal conditions within one calendar year in order to avoid repayment of education benefits.

Changes in Enrollment

Dropping classes and changes in original enrollment schedules can also affect payments received for education benefits. Before making any schedule changes, it is important to first consult the Veterans Benefits Services office in order to avoid/lessen the potential financial impact. If challenges arise in classes that could impact final grades received, contact the Veterans Benefit Services office regarding possible tutoring options and other available resources.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official US government website.