In the event of a campus emergency, Oklahoma State University Institute of Technology may use a variety of tools to communicate to the campus and the public.
Depending on the nature of the emergency, OSUIT may use all or some of the following when activating the Emergency Notification System:
- Text & Voice Alerts – The Cowboy Alert system is available to all campus faculty, staff, and students. You can register your phone to receive a text message and/or voicemail through your O-Key account. Register your contact info under “Campus Alerts” to subscribe to Cowboy Alert.
- Facebook & Twitter – OSUIT regularly updates our accounts. In the event of an emergency, vital information may be communicated on these sites. Make sure you stay connected to get the most up-to-date information.
- Web Freeze – OSUIT has the ability to override the campus network, providing emergency notification via computers connected to the campus network.
- University Group Email – The university may send “urgent” e-mails to the entire campus providing notification and directions during an emergency.
- Local Media – OSUIT works with local media – radio, television, newspapers – to help announce and update campus closures or emergency situations.
- Weather Radios – Various offices across campus have weather radios that provide the latest in severe weather information.
- Patrol Car Announcements – Campus police cars are equipped with PA systems that allow officers to communicate during emergencies.
- OSUIT Status Page – You may want to bookmark this page, which provides links to a variety of safety information and will be updated with details during actual emergencies or campus closures.
The OSUIT Crisis Management Team and the University President are typically the ones who deliver emergency information to university administration. Upon considering this information, administration develops the messages and activates appropriate communications.
In emergency situations where immediate action is required, OSUIT Police may activate sirens and employ other tools.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, it is only to be used by OSUIT for notification of an emergency.