To Contact or Notify Call:
These are general guidelines that will help you to remember what to do in the event of a Shelter in Place or Lockdown event on campus, but each situation may present unique challenges. The most important aspect in both a Shelter in Place and Lockdown event is to put effective barriers between you and the threat.
The actions taken in the initial minutes of an emergency are critical. Plan ahead, and know your options. If you become aware of an emergency before receiving an official alert, take action to make sure you are safe, and contact emergency responders by dialing 0, or by contacting Campus Police directly at 918-293-5000.
Print-friendly version of the emergency guidelines on this page setup as a 2-sided handout.
Viewing this document requires Adobe Reader.
In an emergency, you may be instructed to:
Shelter in Place
You may be advised to “shelter in place” rather than evacuate your building during emergency situations such as large hazardous material releases or severe weather emergencies. The recommendation to shelter in place will be conveyed through official university notification systems.
- Stay inside the building or go indoors as quickly as possible if you are working outside.
- Close windows to provide tighter seal against chemicals vapors, smoke and/or fumes.
- Locate supplies you may need such as food, water, radio, or flashlights if you have them.
- In the event of a hazardous material release, turn off fans, air conditioning or ventilation systems, if you have control of these systems.
- Monitor official university emergency notification systems information for further instructions.
A lockdown may be instructed during situations such as the presence of a hostile or armed intruder inside a building. A lockdown requires locking doors, windows, and barricading oneself to block entry to a campus facility, a classroom, or to an office suite.
- Lock or barricade class and office doors.
- Close windows and window treatments.
- Turn off the lights.
- Instruct everyone to remain silent and not to go into hallways.
- Crouch down in areas out of sight from doors and windows to conceal yourself as much as possible.
- If you are in hallways during the emergency, seek shelter immediately in the nearest classroom or office suite.
- If you are in outdoor areas, you should immediately take cover.
- Monitor official university emergency notification systems information for further instructions, or an “all clear” signal.
Remember 5 & Stay Alive
For Bad Weather Shelter in Place:
- Get Low
Go to the lowest level of the building, if possible.
- Avoid Windows
Stay away from the windows.
- Go to Interior
Go to interior rooms and hallways.
- Protect Yourself
Use arms to protect head and neck in a “drop and tuck” position.
- Keep in the Know
Monitor emergency communications for specific instructions: osuit.edu/status
For Violent Threat in Your Building Follow the 5 OUTS for Lockdown:
- Get Out
Get out of the facility, if possible.
- Call Out
Use mobile phone to call 0 or 918-293-5000.
- Keep Out
Do not lock exterior doors. Close, lock, and barricade interior doors, if possible.
- Hide Out/Spread Out
Seek shelter in nearest secured place. Turn off lights and any devices indicating that the room is occupied. Keep out of the line of sight. Be Quiet. Do not respond to anyone at the door.
- Take Out
Last resort. Use anything to distract or disable the suspect.