Select one of the plans below for the fire/tornado evacuation map for your building on campus.
You can also view the Campus Map to find the your building location on campus.
Fire Procedures in General Campus Buildings
In the event of a fire, do the following things:
- Immediately activate the building fire alarm system.
- Assist any person in immediate danger to safety, if it can be accomplished without risk to yourself.
- If the fire is small enough, use a nearby fire extinguisher to control and extinguish
the fire. Don’t fight the fire if these conditions exist:
- The fire is too large or out-of-control (larger than the size of a small trash can).
- If the atmosphere is toxic.
- If the first attempts to put out the fire do not succeed, evacuate the building immediately.
- Doors, and if possible, windows should be closed as the last person leaves a room or area.
- When exiting through a closed interior door, check door with the back of your hand for excessive heat in case fire is on the other side.
- Do not use elevators – use building stairwells.
- When they hear the fire alarm sound, all persons in the building must evacuate immediately.
- Once outside of the building, cross the nearest street to allow emergency crews access. Dial 918-293-5000 from a safe location if emergency personnel have not arrived.
If you live in on-campus housing, the OSUIT Residents Handbook contains additional information on safety policies. Fire drills are conducted in all campus-housing units. An unannounced drill is held each semester.
The resident handbook explains the services and accommodations provided by the Office of Residential Life as well as the Student Conduct Resident Rights and Responsibilities.
Viewing this document requires Adobe Reader.
- Cease all operations immediately.
- Do not switch lights on or off.
- Evacuate as soon as possible, notifying others as you go.
- Leave the area and dial 918-293-5000.
- Do not re-enter the building until cleared to do so by the OSUIT Police Department or other authority.
- Call 918-293-5000 to report any outage.
- If evacuation of the building is required, exit via stairways. Do not use elevators. Seek out disabled persons and provide assistance if it is within your abilities.